Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Day at the Race x2


Yesterday and today I went to Santa Anita Park. My best friend from HS was in town and my cousins were on break from college. This is probably my 3rd & 4th time going to Santa Anita. I've heard stories of people that have visited the track when they were younger, but my first time going to Santa Anita was back in college. I guess we all have one of those places where no matter how close it is to you it is you've just never got a chance to visit until you discover it later on in life. Saturday I couldn't get reservations for Front Runners Restaurant so I decided to checkout Club House Terrace Dining. Saturday was not exactly a great day for the race since it was raining hard, but still had a fun time. Overall it was great to experience the race and I won a few dollars. Sad thing is that one of the races out of nowhere this horse's leg buckled and this jockey fell over. The jockey was alright, but I heard that they had to put the horse down. Apparently once a race horse gets injured its hard rehabilitate it. I wonder if maybe if it didn't rain that hard that the horse wouldn't have got injured. The track looked really wet and muddy. It was nice to experience my friend's first time at the race. 

Today I took my cousins to see the race. They have never been before. I was able to get reservations for Front Runners. I guess Saturday was a popular day to go see the races. The weather was better today. It didn't rain at first and it was just partly cloudy. Though this time I didn't really win. All the horse I picked weren't that great. I'm still not exactly sure how to bet and how to look at the odds. Even looking at the odds you still can't be sure you've picked a winner. These horses sometimes just come from behind and make a mad dash for the finish line. Mid way through it started to rain hard, but it only lasted for a few minutes. I was glad because I didn't want to see another horse get injured.

Overall the going to Santa Anita Park is fun. Betting a few dollars and relaxing with family or friends is a nice way to spend the weekend. I think the best way to get reservations to one of the restaurants they have. Even though the food is on the pricey side and not all the great I think its still a nice way to experience the horse races. Especially since the season starts in the winter you never know if your going to be caught in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment